Can My Family Get Visas to Attend My Wedding? 4 Helpful Recommendations

Are you getting married soon and want your family to attend your wedding? If so, you may wonder, “Can my family get visas to attend my wedding?”. In the United States, visas are required for non-citizens who wish to visit. Different visas depend on the visit’s purpose and whether it is a temporary or permanent stay. Here, we will discuss obtaining a visa for a family member to attend your wedding day in the United States, its requirements, and the process of obtaining a visa for a family member.


Can my family get visas to attend my wedding?

If you are an American citizen, your family members can get visas to attend your wedding in the United States. There are different visa categories, and depending on their country of origin, they must apply for a visitor visa (B-2). The B-2 visa allows visits for the following purposes:

  • Tourism
  • Vacation (holiday)
  • Visit with friends or relatives
  • Medical treatment
  • Participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations
  • Participation by amateurs in musicals, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating.
  • Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation)

The first thing you must do is determine what type of visa your family member needs. The most common visas for visitors are the B-series visas. These visas are for temporary visits, and there are different types depending on the purpose of the visit.

How to Apply?

Here is a step-by-step process to apply.

Step 1: Determine Eligibility

The first step is determining if your family member is eligible for a visa. To do this, they must meet the requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). This includes having a valid passport, no criminal convictions, and demonstrating that they will return to their home country after their visit.

Step 2: Gather Required Documents

The next step is to gather the required documents for the visa application. This includes a valid passport, proof of financial support, and evidence of ties to their home country. Additional documents may be required depending on the type of visa they are applying for.

Step 3: Complete the Application

Once all the required documents have been gathered, your family member can complete the visa application. This includes filling out the form, providing biographical information, and answering questions about their travel plans.

Documents required to be furnished by visa applicants for a B2 visa to the U.S

  • Passport
  • Evidence of financial resources
  • Letters explaining your purpose for visiting the US
  • Proper insurance coverage.
  • Information on who you are lodging with and their location
  • Air tickets
  • Proof of intent to return to one’s native country.
  • Financial documents

Step 4: Submit the Application

Once the application is completed, it must be submitted to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country. Depending on the country, additional application requirements, such as an interview or additional documents, may exist. You have to fill up the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160, complete the online visa application, and print the form confirmation page to bring to your interview. You will also have to upload your photo in the prescribed format. Please read the form instructions carefully to avoid any delays in processing.

Step 5: Schedule an Interview

Once the application has been submitted, your family member must schedule an interview with a consular officer. This is usually done at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country. During the interview, they will be asked questions about their travel plans and the purpose of their visit. They may also be asked to provide additional documents or evidence of ties to their home country.

Step 6: Wait for a Decision

Once the visa interview is complete, your family members will have to wait for a decision on their visa issuance. This can take several weeks or even months, depending on the type of visa and the country they are applying from.

If your family members are eligible for a B-series visa, they should be able to attend your wedding. However, it is important to remember that the visa process can take several weeks or months, so starting the application process as soon as possible is best.

Things to note

  • Here is the link to begin the process. You have to sign up using your email –
  • There is a B-visa for tourists, a B-visa for business visitors, and a B-visa for visiting the United States to marry a citizen. If your family member is not a citizen of the United States, they will need a visa to attend your wedding.
  • Once you have completed and signed these forms, you must submit them along with supporting documents such as a copy of your marriage certificate, proof that you are getting married (such as invitations), proof of your family member’s citizenship, and a passport-style photo. You will also need to pay the appropriate fees.
  • The application process can take several weeks, so it is essential to start early. Your family member will also need to have a valid passport to travel. If everything is approved, your family member can attend your wedding in the United States.
  • If an applicant is denied a nonimmigrant visa under Section 214b, they may not qualify for it until their financial and personal circumstances change significantly. They should review why their application was rejected and realistically evaluate their ties.
  • After an immigration officer interviews an applicant, some visa applications will require additional administrative processing, resulting in delays in visa processing.
  • The visa application fee varies from country to country. For more information, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your family member’s home country.

Invitation letter for a family tourist visa from the USA

Applying for a visa for your family to attend your wedding may be a little arduous. However, you can still make inviting your family momentous and fun. Write a special letter to your family and deliver it to them, but ask them not to open it until you have a chance to have a video conference call or FaceTime. Dress up for the call. Let them know that you have something very special to tell them. Let them know that you were able to secure their visas for your wedding and allow the moment to be truly special.

Summing up

In conclusion, your family members can get visas to attend your wedding in the United States. However, it is important to start the application process as soon as possible and ensure all necessary documents are submitted.


What is a visa?

A visa is a document that allows a person to travel to a foreign country and stay for a specific period. visas are issued by the embassy or consulate of the country you will be visiting. There are different types of visas depending on the purpose of your visit. For example, there are business visas, visas for tourists, students, etc.

What are the different types of US visas?

The U.S. offers two types of visas: non-immigrant visas for short-term travel and immigrant visas for those planning to stay longer. Immigrant visas are for legal permanent resident status to live permanently in the United States. The immigrant visa application process is different from the travel application. Besides these two types, there are special visas for certain categories, such as diplomats, athletes, and religious workers.

How long does it take to get a visa?

The processing time for a visa application can vary depending on the type of visa you are applying for and the country you are applying from. Generally, it takes 4-6 weeks to process a nonimmigrant visa application and up to 6 months for an immigrant visa application.

How long does it take to get a wedding visa?

The process for obtaining a wedding visa usually takes about six weeks, but it may take longer if you are from a country with special requirements. visas can be obtained at any U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country or abroad. The application fees and processing times vary by location, so contact your nearest consulate for more information.

Are visas required for family members?

Yes, visas are usually required for family members who are not citizens of the country where the wedding occurs. This is because they will stay in that country for an extended period and need a valid visa to enter. Visitors are available for family members who want to visit you during your wedding trip, but they must apply separately and pay the appropriate fees.

What is required for visas?

Visas are required to travel internationally but do not guarantee entry into a foreign country. Visas can be revoked if the bearer violates any immigration laws or becomes ineligible to enter the country. They are usually valid for a certain period; they must be renewed once that time has expired. Visas can be obtained at any U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country or abroad. The application fees and processing times vary by location, so contact your nearest consulate for more information.

Visas can also be revoked if the bearer violates immigration laws or becomes ineligible to enter the country. visas are usually valid for a certain period and must be renewed once that time has expired. visas can be obtained at any U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country or abroad.

How long can you use your visa?

Visas are usually valid for a certain period; once that time has expired, they must be renewed. Visas can also be revoked if the bearer violates immigration laws or becomes ineligible to enter the country. visas are usually valid for a certain period and must be renewed once that time has expired.

How to renew your wedding visa

You must submit additional documents to complete the process if you renew your wedding visa. visas can be renewed at any U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country or abroad. The application fees and processing times vary by location, so contact your nearest consulate for more information.

What is the rule for visas for the fiancees of U.S. citizens?

Newlyweds admitted to the US as K-1 nonimmigrants may apply for a Green Card if they marry within 90 days. A valid marriage requires both parties to sincerely intend to create a life together, not just to gain an immigration benefit. Some documents required may include a birth certificate, marriage certificate, police certificates for your country of residence, travel expenses to the U.S. Embassy for an interview, and medical examination.

You might also be asked to present additional details, such as wedding photographs, to establish the integrity of the marriage and that your previous marriage has been terminated legally due to death, divorce, or annulment. Also, you and your fiance must have met at least once in the last two years before you submit your petition.

To bring your fiancé(e) to the United States, you must work with USCIS, the U.S. Department of State (DOS), and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

What is the K-3 visa?

The K-3 nonimmigrant visa is available to foreign spouses of American citizens. After they get a K-3 visa, recipients apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to become permanent residents (LPR).

Does a child need a visa to visit the United States?

Everyone who wants to visit the US needs a visa or must be eligible for travel without one via a program like the Visa Waiver Program, even kids and minor children.

What is the process for my parents to come to visit the U.S.?

The same process outlined above applies to your parents. You might want to consult an attorney for more specific legal advice regarding the best way to get them to visit you or even get a permanent residence.

author avatar
Aaron Smith
Hi, my name is Aaron! I’m glad to be the founder of Wedistry, a collection of tools and tips to prepare couples for their wedding day. I am currently the manager of the Wedistry Blog and Wedistry for Wedding Parties on the App Store. Thanks for stopping by and I hope that you find this content helpful during your wedding planning process.

About Our Content Creators

Aaron is a wedding officiant with 12 years of experience. After being a guest in weddings and a member of wedding parties numerous times, he was inspired to create ways to better support couples through wedding planning tools.

Aaron is an ordained minister and holds an M. Div. from the University of Chicago.

We may earn a commission if you click on the links within this article. Learn more.

24 responses to “Can My Family Get Visas to Attend My Wedding? 4 Helpful Recommendations”

  1. moretha Avatar

    This is a great article. I’m assisting my sister in planning her wedding at Victory North Savannah ( and was wondering how our family from other locations could attend this significant event. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    1. Aaron Smith Avatar

      We are always glad to help! This will be monumental. Thank you also for sharing!

  2. Basha Avatar

    How many visas can you get for family members to come to your wedding?

    1. Aaron Smith Avatar

      Hi Basha, this is a great question. I don’t see any limit on the website but you may find more information on this website. I would recommend that you apply for as many family members as you would like to attend the wedding in advance to give plenty of time for the application process and for travel. Thanks!

  3. Joane Avatar

    Hi Aaron,
    I have a wedding coming up in September what kind of invitation letter do I need to send so that my brother can apply for a visa from Africa?

    1. Aaron Smith Avatar

      Hi Joane it is completely up to you what kind of invitation you would like to send. The key is getting the visitor visas approved ahead of time. Then, you are welcome to invite them in whatever creative and fun way that you would like.

  4. Kehinde olayemi Avatar
    Kehinde olayemi

    Is there any other documents to send to someone in Nigeria who I want to attend my wedding abroad apart from the invitation letter?

    1. Aaron Smith Avatar

      I would ask the local authorities in Nigeria however for inviting guests to a wedding in the United States you may use the steps in this article but most importantly the steps at this web address

  5. Azielyn Avatar

    Thank you for this!
    May I ask too, can we do that also to our closest friends and relatives?

    1. Aaron Smith Avatar

      Hello, you would follow the same steps in this article however if you want to make it special for them it would be up to you to coordinate when you send any approvals that you get for them along with your personal invitation to attend the wedding.

  6. Yusra Imtiaz Avatar
    Yusra Imtiaz

    Hi Aaron,
    My wedding is coming up in May 2023 and I want to invite relatives from Pakistan. What kind of form should they fill out. I already sent them an invitation card.

    1. Aaron Smith Avatar

      Hi Yursa,

      I would recommend that each family member attending the wedding to complete the process for the B-Visa. You can find the link to the link to the application in this blog post. Thanks so much for your question!

  7. Ashley Avatar

    Hi, I am getting married in July 2023. My mom and brothers are in Dominican Republic. Can I get visas for them to attend the wedding? What application should I fill out?

  8. Elvoe Avatar

    The maximum number of friends/family members can one invite to attend one’s wedding in the USA?

    1. Aaron Smith Avatar

      Hello, thank you for your question. There is no limit listed however each person traveling would need to apply separately for the travel visa.

  9. Osas kelly Avatar
    Osas kelly

    Am married to American citizen am from Africa can I invite my family members to our marriage anniversary? And secondly am inviting my step brothers which we dont have same surname is it possible to invite them for the anniversary am a green card holder
    Thanks I will really appreciate your response

    1. Aaron Smith Avatar

      That is a really great question. I have not found specific documentation on the referenced website for anniversaries as compared to a wedding, however, I would encourage you to follow the same procedure to ask for approval. Thanks so much for reaching out and please feel free to share your findings here for others to see as well.

  10. Amos Isaiah Morgan Jr Avatar
    Amos Isaiah Morgan Jr

    Hi Mr. Smith, my cousin is trying to send an invitation for me to attend her wedding on July 8 of this year but I m not in my home country presently. I m in Morocco studying presently and I don’t know if it will be possible. I am a Liberian

    1. Aaron Smith Avatar

      Hello and thank you for your comment. For this, I would recommend contacting the following link as soon as possible:

      Then begin gathering documents and start the process due to the shortened timeframe.

  11. Ana Avatar

    Hello Mr. Smith!

    My brother is getting married next year (May) and I requested a Visa, but my appointment is on November 2024. Is there any way we can get a shorter permission for me to travel and attend de wedding (before my appointment)?

    1. Aaron Smith Avatar

      Hello! I would recommend checking out this visitor visa page with the application to apply before your appointment. Thanks!

  12. Tayyaba Avatar

    I want to invite my family for my daughter’s wedding .other than invitation card and proof of banquet booking what else I need to do . Should I have to write invitation letter and notarize it and send my family? Too. If this is the case then I have to write a letter for each person separately. And I have to write letter for us consulate too for each person separately please help me thnx

    1. Aaron Smith Avatar

      Hi there. You can help your family to prepare for submitting their applications however they will need to apply separately in their own country and then schedule interviews separately as well.

      As far as inviting them, you can follow your individual preferences because this is separate from the application for the visa to attend the wedding. You could invite by household or by individual persons depending on your preference

      Hope this was helpful!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.